I’ve had it. The Fresh Step cat litter I have long loved to use has changed…for the worse. I don’t know why it’s changed but something has been different for the past couple of years and I’ve finally reached my breaking point.
DUST. It’s a clay cat litter so I expect some dust. But this is out of control. I am constantly battling a layer of dust in the animals’ bedroom – even the walls have dust on them! It’s making me crazy. It also doesn’t help that the granules of litter seem to have gotten smaller and track ALL OVER my house. Ugh.
I just finished scooping Lucy and Lily’s litter boxes and feel like I need to flush my nasal passages. I can only imagine how their poor little noses (and respiratory systems!) are affected.
So, today I officially begin the quest to find a new cat litter. I am hoping that all of you can help me with some reliable real-word recommendations. I have been using Fresh Step for just about their entire lives because it’s been the litter that has consistently masked odor and clumped the tightest. I’ve tested a number of other litters including Tidy Cats and The World’s Best Cat Litter (made of corn) and neither impressed me. Thus, my requirements for the new litter are pretty stringent.
The new litter must:
1) not have any type of scent to it yet must absolutely 100% cover urine/feces odor
2) have minimal dust content
3) clump solidly
4) ideally – have minimal tracking (How wonderful would it be for the litter to stay in or near the litter box?!)
5) ideally – be made of safe(r) substances
6) cost approximately the same as the Fresh Step which is $17 for 40 lbs (I am willing to pay more if it meets all of my requirements!)
What recommendations do you have for me? I am – desperately – all ears!
UPDATE: Thanks for all the helpful tips so far! I am going to try Dr. Elsey’s. I called PetSmart and they carry the 40 lb bag for $16.99. Keep the ideas coming. We’ll be the consumer test subjects. 🙂